boot floppy

Hi all.

This is my first messsage to the list.
I have installed debian potato 2.2 and I have a few questions.

1: I choose boot from a floppy disk, but the boot process is
very slow (until pass control to hd). Is there any way to
speed up the boot process?

2: The kernel version is 2.2.17. I want to compile 2.4.5, but
I have a tar.gz file, not the deb pkg and I had not installed
development tools. Which packages I need to compile the new
kernel?

thanks, and of course, sorry for my english! (i'm argentinian).

PS: I'll be back with more questions ....

--xgnu powered by vi editor