Re: /etc/mailname ?

On Thu, 07 Jun 2001 01:52:16 BST, Colin wrote:

> walt <wa1ter@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >After a recent dist-upgrade I started getting
> >empty email messages every day from root, with
> >a domain name the same as in /etc/mailname .
> >
> >I don't remember when /etc/mailname was generated,
> >or by which config program, so I don't recall
> >what purpose the file serves.
> >
> >Any thoughts on what I need to reconfigure to
> >get the daily system notices arriving again?
>
> /etc/mailname is the file all packages are supposed to use to get the
> hostname for outgoing mail and news messages they generate. If it's
> wrong, go ahead and change it.
>
> My guess is that that isn't related to why you're getting empty mails,
> though; you could check root's crontab and /etc/cron* for a start as to
> what you might need to look at, but from a distance it's hard to tell.

Sorry, I missed the first posting about this.

I have the same situation, an empty mail from / to root. It's being
generated by a daemon that wants to report something, but is not working
properly.  I reviewed my system logs, it seemed that snort was bungled.  I
guessed this because the empty mail message came to me at 07:35:02 -0400,
and snort usually mails me at 07:35:02 -0400.

You should look to see if there is a consistant time that the blank mails
are being delivered.  You may have a similar situation.

As for my situation, I'll know if I fixed it tommorrow morning ;)

--
Paul T. Wright <paul@cvanet.com>
-currently seeking employment-