[OT] Minimum CPU speed for playing DIVX avis?

Hi folks,

I got mplayer (http://mplayer.sourceforge.net) working very nicely, only
that CPU utilization is constantly at 100% (~ 92% user, 8% system) and
sound is very broken after 10 seconds playing.  The video is fine
though.

I have a 333MHz Celeron with MMX, use X 3.3.6 from woody, and have a
very shitty 4MB PCI graphic card.

My question is if a 333MHz is even fast enough for playing those DIVX
files (the one I have is at 810 kbps).  I guess that using xv as output
would be faster, as I'm currently using x11/shm.  But fast enough?  How
about a better graphic card (e.g. Voodoo3 or Matrox G400) on the AGP?
And which output system is faster: XV (using X 4.0.3) or the framebuffer
under Linux?

TIA,
Viktor
--