Re: Low Memory Install?

On Thu, Jun 07, 2001 at 01:16:45PM -0500, Kenneth Pronovici wrote:
> I have a friend who's interested in getting my help to install Linux
> for the first time... but his spare machine only has 4MB of RAM.  The
> last time I tried to install Linux on a machine with that little RAM
> was in 1996 or 1997 when I was using RedHat 4.2.  RedHat's installer
> wouldn't even run properly on a machine with that little RAM, and I
> ended up falling back on an older "low memory" version of Slackware.
>
> My question is: can I successfully complete a minimal Debian install
> with only 4MB of RAM, or is this a losing proposition that's just going
> to frustrate me?

Debian is ultimately designed to be a full fledged linux
system. You may very well get it to fit... but it will be
a squeez. You may want to look into something like Small
Linux (http://www.superant.com/smalllinux/), which was
specifically designed to work within 4 mb's of ram. You can
even run a tiny version of X with it. I'm not sure what you
could do with such a system, but it may be fun.

--
John Patton                      patton66@home.com
Get my GnuPG public key: finger john@24.22.215.225

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist..."
- General John B. Sedgwick Last words, 1864