TCP connection problem

I'm having some strange problems with my TCP connection. It's on a dial-on-demand setup and the TCP packets are sending 3 retries before waiting (3s, 9s and 21s) but doesn't try again after it gets connected (usually about 35 seconds). It times out after 3 minutes and won't try again.

I have tried changing the value at /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_retries1 to more than 3, but it seems to have no effect.

I'm running debian 2.2 although it's more or less a woody distro these days. Kernel is 2.4.3.

Any help is appreciated.
Regards,
Richard