exim is making me crazy

Hello to everybody, pleased to meet you.

I'm using Debian 2.2 'potato' whit exim as MTA. The question
is that when I try to fetch the mail from the server with -say-
fetchmail, it is unable to perform such operation because it
cannot send the message to the local mail account. I believe
that this happens because exim is not "listening" in the port
25 (I can see this by typing: telnet localhost 25) although
this port is open.

So, can somebody tell me what I have to do so that exim begins
to wait for incoming SMTP connections?

Please, forgive me for torturing your language :-)

Thanks.

General Alcazar