I need info please

    Hi.  I am very excited about beign able to use a linux OS.  I looked on
the debian site, but all the places where I could get information and
downloads were either too technical to understand, or blended too well with
my screen. I don't evcen know exactly what kind of computer I have.  All I
know is that I have a Compaq Presario 4546 desktop.  Could you tell me in
plain english how to download it, and if my windows programs are compatible?
I need all the facts about the debian Linux.   If you would do that for me,
that would be great.   Thanks.

-Alex