Re: swap vs. RAM

George Dancheff wrote:

> Hi, I just compiled some kernels 2.4.x series , and it
> seems to me that all these builds prefer to use my
> swap space instead of my free memory , so the
> performance dropped :((( . I noticed  when the mashine
> is not overloaded , free outputs the following :
> debian:/# free
>              total       used       free     shared
> buffers     cached
> Mem:         60752      59792        960          0
>    1084      34508
> -/+ buffers/cache:      24200      36552
> Swap:       104384      33076      71308
> debian:/#
>
> The mashine uses 1/3 of my swap , but i just started a
> X session with Netscape and KMail . Also Shared must
> be different from 0 ..., but it is not . Couldn't get
> why kernel prefers my swap than my free RAM .
> When the mashine is really overloaded Shared field
> from the 'free' output remains 0 , and swap activity
> really get enormous .
>
> Anyone able to explain why the 2.4 kernel prefers swap
> instead of free RAM ???

as I see you only have almost 1 Mb of RAM free, the kernel allways
keep some memory (about 1-2 Mb of RAM) free; I belive that this is
 tunable by changing the source before recompile or through sysctl
 if you compiled support for that, altthough I don't know the exact
 parameter.
also, you may check some documentation about the new shared memory
 model (2.4.x); you may need to add to your fstab the line:
shm	/dev/shm	shm	defaults	0 0
if you have a 2.4.x=< 2.4.3 or:
tmpfs	/dev/shm	tmpfs	defaults	0 0
if you have 2.4.x >= 2.4.4.
note that you have to compile support for it (shm) in the kernel.
and for the 2.4.x  kernels free allways reports 0 for shared
memories,
 I don't know why (I think I read it in the man); maybe a newer
version
would fix that...

Regards

Dragos