apache SSI trouble

Hi!

I´m running apache on one of my boxes, but ran into trouble regarding
 SSI now. For some of the vhosts it works, for some not.

A vhost with working SSI looks like this:

<VirtualHost 1.2.3.4>
    ServerAdmin a@b.c
    DocumentRoot /home/a.b.c/html
    ServerName a.b.c
    ErrorLog /home/a.b.c/logs/error_log
    CustomLog /home/a.b.c/logs/access_log common
</VirtualHost>

and a defunct like:

<VirtualHost 1.2.3.4>
    ServerAdmin d@e.f
    DocumentRoot /home/d.e.f/html
    ServerName d.e.f
    <Directory "/home/d.e.f/html/cgi-bin">
        AllowOverride None
        Options +ExecCGI
        Order allow,deny
        Allow from all
     </Directory>
    ErrorLog /home2/d.e.f/logs/error_log
    CustomLog /home2/d.e.f/logs/access_log common
</VirtualHost>

Within the first vhost all is working just as expected, within the
 second nothing is parsed at all, and there´s nothing logged, the
 .shtml-pages are served as-is.

Any hints? I´ve run out of ideas now...

cheers+tia,
&rw
--
-- "This also tells they understand our language. They are just not
-- willing to speak to us using it." "Who knew they were French?"