swap vs. RAM

Hi, I just compiled some kernels 2.4.x series , and it
seems to me that all these builds prefer to use my
swap space instead of my free memory , so the
performance dropped :((( . I noticed  when the mashine
is not overloaded , free outputs the following :
debian:/# free
             total       used       free     shared
buffers     cached
Mem:         60752      59792        960          0
   1084      34508
-/+ buffers/cache:      24200      36552
Swap:       104384      33076      71308
debian:/#

The mashine uses 1/3 of my swap , but i just started a
X session with Netscape and KMail . Also Shared must
be different from 0 ..., but it is not . Couldn't get
why kernel prefers my swap than my free RAM .
When the mashine is really overloaded Shared field
from the 'free' output remains 0 , and swap activity
really get enormous .

Anyone able to explain why the 2.4 kernel prefers swap
instead of free RAM ???