Re: permisions in /home

On Mon, May 28, 2001 at 11:24:16AM +0300, Dragos Delcea wrote:
> hello,
> I'm trying to get used to debian (I'm new to it)
> Here is a simple question:
> why the user's home have those strange permisions?...in redhdat I used
> to have
> 0700 for each user's directory...now (debian 2.2rev3) I have something
> like 2755 (I cannot remember exactly).
> why is that?
> it means that an user can see the files in the another user's directory.
> I can change it to 700 manually, but I think maybe it's a catch.
> and what's with that SGID?
> maybe something will broke if I change it...

the setgid bit forces all files to be created with the group of the
parent directory rather then the user's primary group.  essentially it
changes the file creation semantics from sysv to bsd.

as for 755 vs 700 its a long and well known *nix tradition to create
home directories world readable it encourages a sharing environment.
users can always change the permissions on their home directory or any
subdirectory they want to keep private.

if your users are too dumb then you may have to do it for them.  i
think /etc/adduser.conf has a option for home directory creation mode
(maybe only in woody's adduser..).

just because redhat does something doesn't make it standard or
correct.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/