Re: permisions in /home

Ethan Benson wrote:

> On Mon, May 28, 2001 at 11:24:16AM +0300, Dragos Delcea wrote:
> > hello,
> > I'm trying to get used to debian (I'm new to it)
> > Here is a simple question:
> > why the user's home have those strange permisions?...in redhdat I used
> > to have
> > 0700 for each user's directory...now (debian 2.2rev3) I have something
> > like 2755 (I cannot remember exactly).
> > why is that?
> > it means that an user can see the files in the another user's directory.
> > I can change it to 700 manually, but I think maybe it's a catch.
> > and what's with that SGID?
> > maybe something will broke if I change it...
>
> the setgid bit forces all files to be created with the group of the
> parent directory rather then the user's primary group.  essentially it
> changes the file creation semantics from sysv to bsd.
>
> as for 755 vs 700 its a long and well known *nix tradition to create
> home directories world readable it encourages a sharing environment.
> users can always change the permissions on their home directory or any
> subdirectory they want to keep private.
>
> if your users are too dumb then you may have to do it for them.  i
> think /etc/adduser.conf has a option for home directory creation mode
> (maybe only in woody's adduser..).
>
> just because redhat does something doesn't make it standard or
> correct.
yes, I know that, but I must have a starting point to compare something.
until now I like debian, but there are a plenty of things that are not
alike
and I just started learning
I plan someday to put debian on the servers at work, but by that day I
must know it inside out; or I would just shoot myself in the foot...
thanks for your reply