Re: fvwm2

Je 2001/05/23(3)/11:05, Joerg Johannes montris sian geniecon skribante:
> Hi List
>
> Using sid in the most recent version with XFree4.0.3, I just switched to
> the good old fvwm I used to have in SuSE times (I never liked KDE and
> Gnome).
>
> 1.) .Xresources. Well, the problem I have is: when starting emacs from
> the fvwm-mennu, it starts up with default values (white background,
> standard geometry,...). When I start it from an xterm, it starts with
> the options I set in .Xdefaults and .Xresources (In fact, these two are
> hardlinked). So, why doesn't fvwm read these files?
>
> 2.) I use gdm as login manager (because of the "shutdown" option). When
> logging out of fvwm2, I don't get the login screen back, but only an
> empty root window with mouse pointer. Falling back to the login screen
> works with all other WM'S (e.g. enlightenment, gnome, kde). What could
> cause this?
>
> 3.1) the menus (general). I have poked around in the reades, and read a
> lot about "hook files". I did not quite understand how to use them. I
> understood it in so far, that it is not very smart to have a personal
> menu in my .fvwm directory, because the system-wide menu file is changed
> by the menu-generation script. I can add entrys to
> the sytem-wide menus by adding them to the several hook-files, but I
> cannot remove entrys, because I had to set up a personal menu and would
> lose the comfort of a script-updated menu when installing new programs.
> Now, what can I do to have custom menus?

To add entries in your personal menu tree, take a look at
any file in /usr/lib/menu/*, and copy/change a file to your ~/.menu dir

To remove the menu entries you don't want, (as in /usr/doc/menu/menu.txt.gz):

5.2. Specifying a ``no-menu entry''

     If a user wants to remove an entry from the system menu (in
     `/etc/menu'), then this will do the trick:

            echo -n  > ~/.menu/package

     The zero-size file will tell `update-menus' that the corresponding
     package should not have any menu entries listed.

--
joostje