Increasing PPP Dialup connection timeout

Hello,

For the last few days, I've been unable to connect to my ISP via dialup modem.
Before this, I had no problem and it would connect very soon after dialing. Now,
there appears to be line noise preventing it to connect at all. The problem is
it connects in Windows fine. It takes a while (about 1 minute), but it connects.
Of course, I prefer not to ask the ISP as I can almost guarentee they Linux is
not one of their supported OS's.

Anyway, it seems that in Linux, pon quits before it could really connect. So,
instead of pon giving up in a minute or so, I'd like to increase that timeout. I
believe if I could make the time it tries to connect longer, it would eventually
be able to connect. I looked in /etc/ppp/options but didn't see anything obvious
as well as looking in /usr/share/doc/ppp. How do you increase the initial
connection timeout?

TIA,
Scott