Re: heads-up (and a chance to object) on expect packages

On Tue, May 22, 2001 at 07:33:25AM +0100, Adrian Bridgett <adrian.bridgett@iname.com> spake forth:
> > I'm planning to drop the two separate expect packages (expect5.24 and
> > expect5.31) and create a single "expect" package with the current version.
> > An automated upgrade path will be provided.
[...]
> How compatible are the two?   i.e. why was the split done in the first
> place?   Maybe it's worth uploading the new one (and getting rid of
> expect5.31), but leaving 5.24 around for a couple of weeks in case there is
> a compatibility problem?

The split predates my maintainership, though I'm planning to ask the
previous maintainer... I may keep 5.24 around for a bit, but my main
motivations are that:
a) with all the issues of tcl breakage between versions, I have enough of
   the "several versions of the same software" packages to deal with
b) expect5.24 5.30.1-7 is getting into the area of "ugly and confusing", and
   updating the name of the package w/each release sounds as fun as needles
   in my eyeballs :)

Basically, I don't really feel like maintaining two expects along with three
(possibly soon four) tcls and tks, a couple of itcls, etc... so unless
someone actually finds utility from the old one that they can't get from the
new one, I'd like to get rid of it.

--
Mike Markley <mike@markley.org>
GPG: 0x3B047084 7FC7 0DC0 EF31 DF83 7313  FE2B 77A8 F36A 3B04 7084

You!  What PLANET is this!
- McCoy, "The City on the Edge of Forever", stardate 3134.0