First step with Mutt

I'm accustomed to use graphic email reader such as kmail or balsa.

Now I find very interesting the opportunity of adopting a console email
reader such as Mutt in terms of memory requirements, quickness and
flexibility.

But I understand that Mutt is only a mere reader and in its documentation I
haven't found any clue on how to set it up in order to receive & send the
mail.

Therefore I suppose other programs are needed to make it work (think of
something hostile like exim, send-/fetch-/mail and so on).

Could someone show me how I could configure e.g. exim to reach my ISP and my
smtp and pop3 servers ?

Vittorio