Re: restoring tarred backup

on Tue, May 22, 2001 at 10:10:36AM -0500, Lance Hoffmeyer (lhoffmeyer@informationunlimited.net) wrote:
> I have a backup of a functioning Woody system on a CD.  I used a script
> that was on the list a week back or so.  I modified it and it backed up
> all directories except proc and tmp.  I need to restore my system using
> this backup.  I installed a potato base system so I could boot.
>
> Is restoring as simple as untarring everything, typing lilo and
> rebooting?  What do I need to look out for when restoring?

Booting requires that your bootloader (LILO, GRUB, System Commander,
etc.) can find a working kernel and root filesystem.  If you are
rewriting your kernel image or changing partitions, you'll have to rerun
LILO.

If you're just restoring additional partitions, say, /usr, /var, home,
/uar/local, etc., you've got no issues, and may even be able to do this
on a live system without reboot, though going to single-user mode may be
helpful.

   Disclaimer:          http://www.goldmark.org/jeff/stupid-disclaimers/