Re: Problem w/Netscape and repartitioning for Woody

on Mon, May 21, 2001 at 11:10:00AM -0400, Marc Shapiro (m_shapiro@bigfoot.com) wrote:
> Let me explain what I have done, so far.  Then I will explain my
> problems.
>
> I want to set up separate partitions on my box for tracking Woody
> (Testing).  So far, I have created a new partition for / (/dev/hda11)
> and cp'd everything from my current / partition to it.  At the moment,
> I am still using my original partitions for /var, /tmp, /usr,
> /usr/local, and /home.  Once I have everything working and before I
> upgrade to Woody I will make new partitions for /usr and /usr/local.
> I plan to use the same partitions for /var, /tmp, and /home for both
> Stable and Testing.  Is this acceptable?

No.  /var carries state for the packaging system and cannot be shared.
You may be able to share /home and /usr/local.  You can share /tmp.

> 2) If I boot to stable and then run df everything is fine.  The output
> shows /dev/hda1 mounted on / as it should be.  I can then mount my new
> partition (/dev/hda11) and run df again and it still displays everything
> correctly.  If I boot to Testing, however, and run df it shows that
> /dev/hda1 (NOT /dev/hda11) is mounted on / even though the stats that it
> shows are correct for /dev/hda11.

/etc/mtab may be fuxnored.  What's /proc/mounts say?  It's definitive.

   Disclaimer:          http://www.goldmark.org/jeff/stupid-disclaimers/