Partitioning

All--

I'm installing Debian Potato on a new workstation.  I have 2 disks, and I
wanted to put OS and apps all on one and user data all on the other.  On
sda, I made a bootable partition and partitions for /, /usr, /var, /tmp, and
swap.

When I tried to make sdb all one partition, I couldn't write the partion
table to disk (got the message:  "Not precisely one primary partition is
bootable.  DOS MBR cannot boot this.").  I didn't think that each disk
needed to be bootable.  What do I do -- is it okay to make a small, bootable
primary partition here?

Thanks for your help.

--Bryan