Re: Kernel Modules

John Tatum wrote:

> I am looking for info on how to configure kernel modules.  I presume
> there is a howto somewhere, but I can't seem to find it.

http://www.linuxdoc.org

this is where all of the general GNU/Linux docs live and for Debian specific
documentation check out the Debian Documentation Project:

http://www.debian.org/doc/ddp

Most of the stuff there is still pretty new and unfinished but **very** useful.

Configuring modules is easy once you figure out how it works.  It's the figuring
out how it works that's the toughie ; )

Basically what you need to do is:
1. Get and unpack the source (#apt-get install kernel-source...)
2. Configure everything (#make config (or xconfig))
3. make the kernel and install it (don't forget to rum lilo)
4. then #make modules
5. and finally #make modules_install

You just have to suffer through it, reread the docs, etc. . .

Don't forget, before you start messing with the kernel make a boot disk or make
sure that you can boot from an old kernel image.  I usually have to build a
kernel a few times before I get one that actually boots.

> Specifically, I am trying to get my sound card (I have a Red Hat driver
> and install procedure for this, but no clue how to use them), zip drive,
> and CD/RW drive loaded and configured and really have no clue where to
> begin for any of them.

there's a zip howto and a cd writing howto.  You have to mess with the kernel a
bit to get this to work.  I forget exactly how but you want to pretend that your
zip and cd drives are scsi.

> On the plus side I have fully configured x and have gnome running over
> icewm successfully.

Right on.  After configuring X everything else should be easy ; 0)

later,
Andy