need help with ALSA / soundcard

i'm using a vaio notebook with a yamaha ymf-754 soundcard on
debian/testing. i compiled the
kernel with CONFIG_SOUND CONFIG_SOUND_OSS and CONFIG_SOUND_YMFPCI as
modules (i know that the last one is the correct module for my soundcard,
because it worked with my old suse system) and succesfully loaded the
modules -- however i didn't hear sound with xmms

since i used alsa drivers in my old suse configuration i apt-get installed
alsaconf...but alsa doesn't detect my soundcard automatically, so i
selected it myself which didn't work either. the alsa script gives me the
following output:

Starting ALSA sound driver (version none):modprobe: Can't locate module
snd
 no driver installed

what can i do to make sound work? i don't particularly need to use alsa --
i just want to have the soundcard working anyway i can!

thanks!

vester