Re: apt-get offline

Joerg Johannes wrote:

> Hello List
>
> I use apt-get as described in the offline.html guide meaning: I build a
> wget script from the output of apt-get -qq --print-uris and so on. The
> problem is, there are two other systems involved in this process: one
> sun solaris machine, which I use to run wget on it, and a WinNT4 machine
> to get the downloaded files via ftp to a zip disk (I know this is
> ridiculous, but it's the only possibility for me, because the sun one
> has no zip, the NT one has no wget...)
> Well, the problem is, that some packages are named
> packagexxx-1%3a-yyy.deb. Now, either solaris or NT has a problem with
> the "%"-sign. I have to manually edit the wget-script so that I replace
> every % by xxxxx, downlöoad the whole stuff, and then rename the single
> packages from xxxxx back to %. This is a rather annoying procedure, for
> dist-upgrades from unstable to unstable tend to change lots of packages.
>
> So enough of talking, here comes my idea of how to do it: Is there a
> shell-script that can change the xxxxx'es in the downloaded file names
> back to % (the script, I edit with emacs, this is no problem).
> Unfortunately, I have no idea of shell scripting at all, so if someone
> could tell me how to do it...
>
> Thanks for your help
>
> joerg

Run the wget script on solaris and tar all files in one archive (e.g.
packages.tar).
If it's bigger than your zip:

'split -b 90m packages.tar pack'

This will give you some files 'packaa', 'packab' ... which will all fit
on a single zip media.
Then get all those parts on the NT machine and take them home.
At home, drink a nice cup of coffee while you copy the whole stuff on
your linux machine.
Put it all together by:

'cat packaa packab > packages.tar'     # remember to list all parts

Untar it and have fun ....

Berthold