Re: X, Matrox G450 and Matrox-Driver

Joachim Trinkwitz wrote:

> now I'm trying to get a Matrox Millenium G450 up and running under X
> (4.0.3). So far I have a more or less working solution with the
> framebuffer device, but it's far from being satisfactory.
>
> When trying the mga driver, X complains:
> (WW) Warning, couldn't open module mga_hal
> (EE) MGA: Failed to load module "mga_hal"(module does not exist, 0)
> (EE) MGA(0): G450 support not available without Matrox HAL module
> and stops working.

You only need the HAL module if you want to use Matrox's non-free card
initialisation code.  The driver is supposed to work without it.

I'm using a CVS version of XFree86, version 4.0.99.1, and it supports the
G450 quite well.  You'd have to build it from source, but you don't have to
patch anything.

Alternatively, you could wait for XFree86 version 4.1.x.  According to
<http://xfree86.org/>:

    The next full release will be 4.1.0, scheduled for mid-late May 2001.

--
Charles Briscoe-Smith                     Hacking Free Software for Alcove
PGP/GPG:  1024R/B35EE811  74 68 AB 2E 1C 60 22 94  B8 21 2D 01 DE 66 13 E2