Re: Suitability of USRobotics Message Modem ?

* Darren Wyn Rees <merlin@A470.demon.co.uk>, 2001-05-21 03:08 +0200:
> Would some people give me an opinion on the US Robotics external
> 56k Message Modem ?  Is it suitable for use with Linux.
>
> I've read a few Linux modem resource pages, but a lot of the stuff
> is way above my head.
>
> I haven't bought a new modem in a few years, and it's an investment.
>
> I'd *appreciate* your comments on this subject.

The Sportster I once owned was very fast with Win98-PCs, but my Mac
and my ISPs software would never agree -- it just didnt't work, so I
sold this one. I've never tested it with Linux though.

From my experience I can recommend external Diamond and Lasat modems;
both have Rockwell chipsets and perform very well (here), and are
cheaper than Elsas.

A. B.                                       [andre.berger@topmail.de]