X, Matrox G450 and Matrox-Driver

Hi all,

now I'm trying to get a Matrox Millenium G450 up and running under X
(4.0.3). So far I have a more or less working solution with the
framebuffer device, but it's far from being satisfactory.

When trying the mga driver, X complains:
(WW) Warning, couldn't open module mga_hal
(EE) MGA: Failed to load module "mga_hal"(module does not exist, 0)
(EE) MGA(0): G450 support not available without Matrox HAL module
and stops working.

I got two drivers at the Matrox website, mga_hal_drv.o and
mga_drv.o. Both won't load with my kernel version (2.4.4) because of
'unresolved symbols' in the driver files. The instructions at the
website didn't mention which kernel they used.

Matrox has a source distribution for the drivers, too, but this
requires compiling X from the sources with the driver source copied
in, so that is not a very pleasant alternative.

Has someone a solution or compiled the driver and is willing to share
the binary?

Hoping for help,
joachim