Help needed please

Hello everyone. I have tried via IRC to get help from both #debian and #linuxhelp, on several servers to no avail

I am installing Debian 2.1...the initial install goes fine. I reboot and then it runs the script to setup a connection, and then dselect to allow the packages to be installed. Here is what is happening though.

I tried using the program...it refused to recognize /dev/cdrom...ok I back out...and try to mount the cdrom..error message

mount: fs type iso9660 not supported by kernel.

So I download kernel 2.4.4, only to find out after the fact the base install has not included "make"...I am back to square one.

During installation when selecting the modules to be added to the kernel there is not any listing for iso9660. I have tried manually forcing it to use the regular cdrom drivers(which is states is installed automatically)..

How can I force the boot install from cdrom to include the iso9660 so I can use dselect to install the packages? I don't have a fast connection or I would just download potato...that would take days at 28.8

I need to get this up and happening since I want to use debian for my lab when I am ready to do the linux 101 cert..

Thanks,
Mel