Install: iso9660 support (was Re: Help needed please)

on Sun, May 20, 2001 at 05:50:16PM -0500, Mel Herndon (mrherndon@ev1.net) wrote:
> Hello everyone. I have tried via IRC to get help from both #debian and #linuxhelp, on several servers to no avail
>
> I am installing Debian 2.1...the initial install goes fine. I reboot
> and then it runs the script to setup a connection, and then dselect to
> allow the packages to be installed. Here is what is happening though.
>
> I tried using the program...it refused to recognize /dev/cdrom...ok I
> back out...and try to mount the cdrom..error message
>
>     mount: fs type iso9660 not supported by kernel.
>
> So I download kernel 2.4.4, only to find out after the fact the base
> install has not included "make"...I am back to square one.
>

> During installation when selecting the modules to be added to the
> kernel there is not any listing for iso9660. I have tried manually
> forcing it to use the regular cdrom drivers(which is states is
> installed automatically)..
>
> How can I force the boot install from cdrom to include the iso9660 so
> I can use dselect to install the packages? I don't have a fast
> connection or I would just download potato...that would take days at
> 28.8

Try to provide a meaningful subject line.

You should be prompted for any drivers you want to install during the
installation process.  At this point you should select iso9660 and any
other drivers necessary to access your CDROM.

It's possible you've already done this but failed to laod the driver:

    $ insmod iso9660

...should take care of that, if it's already on your system.

Note that install over modem is pretty doable, though patience may be a
virtue.  I've crafted several systems on a 56k modem.  All but the
largest of packages are downloadable in a matter of minutes.  I'm
currently pulling down a couple of office suites and data analysis
programs ;-)