Re: How to use debian lists

"Thomas H. George" wrote:

> I have gotten some excellent answers to my questions and picked up
> useful information from other user's questions and answers but
>
> I'm swamped!
>
> Often I am away from my computer for several days and return to find
> 1,000+ messages.  It takes a long time to download and delete them much
> less scan them for interesting items.  I unsuvscribed for a while
> because of this and am thinking of doing so again.  What I'd like is a
> way of switching on and off depending on my need to ask a question and
> the time I have available to download and scan messages.

  it is much easier to handle it when you thread the articles. some
mailreader enable you to 'kill the thread' so you'll never see messages
in threads that do not interest you. I've heard that this works really
well in gnus. netscape has these features as well but I never got them
working properly (threading works but kill thread does strange things).
I think mutt can do the same as well even though I don't know how to
kill threads in mutt (yet)...

  that way you would have to go through much less messages (basically
only threads that are interesting to you and new threads)

	erik