How to use debian lists

I have gotten some excellent answers to my questions and picked up useful information from other user's questions and answers but

I'm swamped!

Often I am away from my computer for several days and return to find 1,000+ messages. It takes a long time to download and delete them much less scan them for interesting items. I unsuvscribed for a while because of this and am thinking of doing so again. What I'd like is a way of switching on and off depending on my need to ask a question and the time I have available to download and scan messages.

In the last analysis I think debian linux is wonderful, I am enormously greatful to the all those who have freed me from microsoft but most of my time is devoted to taking advantage of this by working at my computer with only an ocasional need for help when I encounter a problem.