Re: lm-sensors problems

Philipp Lehman wrote:

> In order to access the hardware sensors on my motherboard, I installed
> the lm-sensors-source package and the corresponding userland
> utilities. I need the i2c-viapro kernel module for my MB (VIA
> KT133A/82c686b chipset).
>
> Now, when I try to patch the kernel (stricly following the
> instructions in the README and INSTALL files) not all lm-sensors
> modules are offered when I try to make menuconfig afterwards. The
> patches are applied fine without any errors, but the module I need
> just doesn't show up in the I²C section of the kernel configuration.
>
> This problem only affects the VIA modules. E.g. lm-sensors comes with
> a i2c-piix4.c file and I see an option for Intel PIIX4 support, but
> there are no configuration items corresponding to i2c-via.c and
> i2c-viapro.c (the latter being the one I need). Has anybody seen this
> before? Any ideas?
>
> BTW: I also tried building the modules outside of the kernel source
> tree, but compiling fails with an error message. I found an open bug
> report filed against lm-sensors-source describing the same problem, so
> I guess it's not just me overlooking something in this case.

I just installed lm_sensors  for VIAkt133/686a . I have a 2.4.3 kernel with
I2C support compiled in and used lm_sensors-2.5.5. I followed the
QUICKSTART instructions exactly as shown.

To  get lm_sensors to compile as a module you have to edit the Makefile and
set the  I2C_HEADERS=$(LINUX_HEADERS)  otherwise you get an error.

When you run sensors-detect, be sure to probe the ISA bus. This is  how
you get the temp s etc. Then i added the modules it suggested:
i2c-isa and via686a  to /etc/modules and the command 'sensors -s' to
bootmisc.sh, so everything gets loaded and set at boot-up.

Then install  'gkrellm'  so you can display your temp, fan and voltage
readings on your desktop. Very nice display.