Make Menuconfig Problem

I sent this message two days ago but missed any answers as I had not subscribed to debian-user@lists.debian.com. I am recovering from a disk crash and installed linux2.2.17 from an official binary-i386, version 2.2_r0 CD set. I rushed and missed the option which would have included parport in the installation. My plan to correct this was to download linux-2.2.19.tar.bz2 and build a new kernel. All went well until make menuconfig. This aborted with the message:

          In file included from lxdialog.c:22:
          dialog.h:29 curses.h No such file or directory

I have run apt-get update and apt-get --fix-broken dist-upgrade.

I have checked required versions of the packages listed in the Changes file and obtained all the necessary updates.

I still cannot run make menuconfig.

How do I correct this problem?