Re: lm-sensors problems

Philipp Lehman <lehman@gmx.net> writes:
PL> In order to access the hardware sensors on my motherboard, I
PL> installed the lm-sensors-source package and the corresponding
PL> userland utilities. I need the i2c-viapro kernel module for my MB
PL> (VIA KT133A/82c686b chipset).
PL>
PL> Now, when I try to patch the kernel (stricly following the
PL> instructions in the README and INSTALL files) not all lm-sensors
PL> modules are offered when I try to make menuconfig afterwards. The
PL> patches are applied fine without any errors, but the module I need
PL> just doesn't show up in the I²C section of the kernel
PL> configuration.

You shouldn't need to patch the kernel; doing that probably just makes
a mess.  When I've built i2c modules, I've done them completely
externally and it works fine.

PL> BTW: I also tried building the modules outside of the kernel source
PL> tree, but compiling fails with an error message. I found an open bug
PL> report filed against lm-sensors-source describing the same problem, so
PL> I guess it's not just me overlooking something in this case.

What's the error message?  I recently uploaded a new version of the
lm-sensors package that cleaned up a couple of the more serious
problems with it, so you might see if this solves your problem.  (In
particular, it solves the "package doesn't actually contain modules"
and the "build process tries to drop the package in the root
directory" problems, the latter with a current kernel-package.)

	-- Abra Mitchell