Re: woody upgrade

On Fri, 18 May 2001, "Chris Parker" wrote:

> Please HELP.  Upgraded potato to woody.  That went fine.  Trying to go to
> kernel 2.4.4.  Used dselect for kenel and other packs like xfree86.  Some
> have installed but others will not!
> ERROR MESSAGE:
> [Scanning packages]Template parse error near "" at
> /usr/lib/perl5/Debian/DebConf/Template.pm line 60, <TEMPLATES>
>         (in cleanup) Can't call method "DESTROY" chuck 2
>         undefined value at /usr/lib/perl5/Debian/DebConf/Question.pm line
> 151, <TEMPLATES> line 2 during global destruction.
>
> E:Sub-process /usr/sbin/dpkg-preconfigure --apt returned error code (29)
> E:failure running script /usr/sbin/dpkg-preconfigure --apt
>
>     ..fix and install again
> installation script returned error exit status 100
> Also under dpkg -l in col 1 what does ii,rc, and ic mean?
> If anyone can help or lead me to how to fix this it would be greatly
> appreciated!
>
> Thanks for any help given!

ii means installed properly, rc is once installed but now removed, etc.  There is a header at the top od dpkg -l - pipe it through less or more so you can see the top.  It will tell you exactly what each of the two letters stand for.  It sounds like you have a perl problem - I think the upgrade goes from one version of perl to another, and some of the files don't write properly the first time.  Try dpkg -a --configure, and if that produces no results, try reinstalling perl.  The install scripts depennd on a working perl library, and if it's not set up, you'll get errors like this.

Good luck,
Steve