Re: woody upgrade

On Thu, 17 May 2001, "Chris Parker" wrote:

 Just upgraded potato to woody
> 2.4.4 kernel for i810 support. Could anyone tell me where to find out how
> to get kernel 2.4.4 to go into lilo and how to get X back up and goin.
> Either man pages or how-to , possibly some feed back?; Thanks
> for any help!

Hey there,
Hmmm . . . What I think you're saying is that you just upgraded from potato to woody, and you lost your xserver.  Did you also change your kernel?  If you changed your kernel, edit /etc/lilo.conf to reflect this - change any reference to your current kernel to the new one.  Then run /sbin/lilo to update it, and reboot. If all is well, your new kernel should boot normally.  Make a bootdisk first (mkboot).
If you didn't upgrade your kernel, but only your version of debian (which is what I think you mean), then what's probably going on is that they changed versions of X in the upgrade, and there are numerous things that have to be changed and reconfigured.  dpkg -l will give you a list of all installed packages on your system, and you want to look for all the x packages that are v. 3.x and remove them.  Make sure you have the base X packages installed, and run xf86config-4 to set up your new xserver.
Good luck,
Steve