the best way to make it work.

Using magicfilter from testing/unstable, I pick the dj550c filter
but it appears to use 300 dpi.

A quick google search yields an entry at www.linuxprinting.org

http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=131424

They say to use the cdj550 ghostscript driver at 600x600.
Selecting the cdj550 links brings us to a configuration tools
with options for PDQ-O-Matic, CUPS-O-Matic, LPD-O-Matic.

I suppose this means the Debian-compatible method of using this
is to install cupsomatic-ppd, cupsys and cupsys-client?  This
wants to remove lprng and I'll have to learn everything.  Is it
worth it?

Magicfilter's /etc/magicfilter/dj550c-filter script has this:

 # PostScript
 0     %!  filter  /usr/bin/gs  @cdj550.upp -q -dSAFER -dNOPAUSE -s

So it appears to use the same ghostscript driver.  Should I just
stick an `-r600x600` in there?  Will I get better results with
cups?

-

What's the best overall method of setting up printing?  (What a
can of worms, huh?)

Thanks,
Peter