Re: Problem with netgear card

On Fri, May 18, 2001 at 02:48:30AM +0000, Brian Schramm wrote:
| I have a new machine here with a netgear fa311 network card in it.  I want to
| install Debian on it but the only drivers I can find are for Redhat.  Has
| anyone gotten this card to work with Debian?

I have two netgear cards, and I think they are the fa311 (I could be
wrong though).  Mine are ISA cards, one in a Debian box and one in a
DOS/Win95 box.  To get the Debian one working I first put it in a DOS
box, booted with their driver disk and ran the setup utility.  I did
this to turn off PnP.  Then I put it in the Debian box and added the
following to /etc/modules.conf (actually to a different file under
/etc/modutils and ran update-modules) :

alias eth0 ne io=0x300

( I am not at the box right now, and it might have been
        alias eth0 ne2000 io=0x300  )

Everything has worked fine for me.  As others have suggested go to
Donald Becker's site (at scyld.com) and see what he says there.  He is
a smart guy who wrote all (or nearly all) the ethernet drivers for
linux.

HTH,
-D