Re: bothersome fsck on startup

on Wed, May 16, 2001 at 10:08:52AM -0500, Andrew Perrin (aperrin@email.unc.edu) wrote:
> Folks-
>
> For some reason, my root mount (/dev/hdb3) *never* unmounts cleanly on
> halt or shutdown; I always get an fsck on startup. Any idea why?

How are you shutting down.

    $ shutdown now

...doesn't shut down the system (poweroff or reboot), it drops to admin
(single user) mode.  To shut down fully, supply the '-r' (reboot) or
'-h' (halt) options:

    $ shutdown -r now
    $ shutdown -h now

...otherwise, post more data.

You should also be able to fake a shutdown by dropping to single-user
mode, unmounting all partitions other than /, turning off swap
(swapoff), then mounting root readonly:

    $ mount -o remount,ro /

...at which point you can power down the system.

It should boot cleanly.