Re: woody release date

On Sun, 13 May 2001, Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier wrote:

> On Sun, 13 May 2001, Stuart Krivis wrote:
>

> > On Saturday, May 12, 2001, at 11:25 PM, Ethan Benson wrote:
> >
> > > my personal guess is that anything before late november is not going
> > > to happen.  but who knows, if more people help with boot floppies that
> > > would probably help. the main thing is going to be seeing how many
> > > times freezes have to be restarted because RC bugs were not fixed.
> > > thats why potato's freeze took so long.
> > >

> > I've always wondered why Debian has such trouble with releases. The
> > RedHat clones put stuff out regularly. Yeah, I know, Debian actually
> > wants things to _work_. :-) But FreeBSD also does a better job at new
> > releases, and FreeBSD is high quality like Debian IMO.
>
> One consideration, already mentioned, is the number of packages that
> make up a Debian GNU/Linux release.

this is what i was thinking.  however, this is one place where debian has
somewhat of a weakness.   because of the number of people involved i
imagine that it's difficult to coodinate such a huge amount of packages
over so many differnt people.

however, the upside to this is.  whenever there is a security flaw found
in a package, or a new version of an application comes out, it can usually
be had very quickly for exactly the reason above, there are a lot of
people, and they are each managing their own little peice of the puzzle.

> Another is, unlike FreeBSD, Debian supports a huge number of architechtures.
> FreeBSD supports x86, DEC-Alpha and PC98 (taken directly from their site)...
>
> The installer project for Debian is much more ambitious than any of the
> *BSD's as well - this isn't a knock at the *BSD'ers, either - but the
> goals are different. The Debian team wants to make it much easier for
> newer folks to install Debian. Whatever graces FreeBSD may have, a
> user-friendly install is NOT one of them.

i find freebsd's and debian's installers really really similar
actually.  easy to use if you have an idea what you're doing.

> Also - the Debian team works on integrating software into releases that
> is constantly - and rapidly - changing. Often when one thing changes, it
> breaks another thing - and you have to change thing A because it's either
> a crucial bux or security fix, or a vital new feature that everyone wants.

what i do is run unstable on my workstations, and stable on firewalls and
servers, when security is an issue.

just my thoughts on the matter

--
Forrest English