Re: woody release date

On Sun, 13 May 2001, Stuart Krivis wrote:

> On Saturday, May 12, 2001, at 11:25 PM, Ethan Benson wrote:
>
> > my personal guess is that anything before late november is not going
> > to happen.  but who knows, if more people help with boot floppies that
> > would probably help. the main thing is going to be seeing how many
> > times freezes have to be restarted because RC bugs were not fixed.
> > thats why potato's freeze took so long.
> >

> I've always wondered why Debian has such trouble with releases. The
> RedHat clones put stuff out regularly. Yeah, I know, Debian actually
> wants things to _work_. :-) But FreeBSD also does a better job at new
> releases, and FreeBSD is high quality like Debian IMO.

One consideration, already mentioned, is the number of packages that
make up a Debian GNU/Linux release.

Another is, unlike FreeBSD, Debian supports a huge number of architechtures.
FreeBSD supports x86, DEC-Alpha and PC98 (taken directly from their site)...

The installer project for Debian is much more ambitious than any of the
*BSD's as well - this isn't a knock at the *BSD'ers, either - but the
goals are different. The Debian team wants to make it much easier for
newer folks to install Debian. Whatever graces FreeBSD may have, a
user-friendly install is NOT one of them.

Also - the Debian team works on integrating software into releases that
is constantly - and rapidly - changing. Often when one thing changes, it
breaks another thing - and you have to change thing A because it's either
a crucial bux or security fix, or a vital new feature that everyone wants.

I won't even touch the Red Hat comment - suffice it to say that even
though Debian releases may not be "first to market" they're often the
best.

Besides, if you desperately need a package/kernel/window manager or
whatever, you can always pull it from Sid or just download and compile
it yourself. Otherwise - why worry? If your system works and you can
get things done with it, then a new release isn't a necessity. And, of
course, you're always free to pitch in and help speed things up...

Just my thoughts...

Take care,

Zonker
--