Re: testing upgrade stallout

on Sun, May 13, 2001 at 11:09:13PM -0500, burningclown@westhost43.westhost.com (burningclown@westhost43.westhost.com) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I ran what proved to be a rather large apt-get dist-upgrade last week, and
> wound up with some dependency conflicts which I don't know how to get
> around/rid of. The packages downloaded did not finish installing, and when
> I try to run apt-get dist-upgrade NOW what I get is the following:
>
> Reading Package Lists...
> Building Dependency Tree...
> You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these.
> Sorry, but the following packages have unmet dependencies:
>   php3-pgsql: Depends: libpgsql2.1 (>= 7.0.3-3) but it is not installed
>               Depends: php3 (= 3:3.0.18-12) but 3:3.0.18-0potato1 is installed
>   postgresql: Depends: libpgsql2.1 (>= 7.1) but it is not installed
>               Depends: libpgsql2.1 but it is not installed
>   postgresql-client: Depends: libpgsql2.1 (>= 7.1) but it is not installed
>                      Depends: libpgsql2.1 (>= 7.1) but it is not installed
>

> Unfortunately, running 'apt-get -f install' doesn't seem to fix the
> problem.
>
> I believe another user posted this problem recently; however, I seem to
> have lost any useful reply to that message, and can't seem to find it in
> the list archives. Where should I begin getting around this?
>
> Thanks for any hints.

Not sure of anything specifically addressing postgres, but I'd had a
similar conflict lock with Galeon, which I'd forced installation of.  I
hand-edited the galeon deps in /var/lib/dpkg/status to match what was
currently on my system.  Note that this can get you into trouble, but in
my case it worked.  I'd archive my 'status' file first.