xdm on beta-blockers (2)

Sorry; on previous, forgot to add:

     [Please cc any replies to author, as not subscribed to this list.
                                                            Thank you.]

OK, I give up.

Can anyone explain to me why xdm now takes a full 60 seconds to load and
kick in?
[Celeron 433, 64M, ATI Rage 128 16M, debian 2.2r3+testing, upgraded
daily.]

I'm flummoxed.
It doesn't appear to be a memory-swapping problem -- more of a
security-permissions related thing, as no-one but root can now run
startx; and last week I was getting error messages about suspicious
ownership of /tmp/.X11-unix.  (No longer reproducible.)

I don't know enough about X to sort this one out -- can anyone help?

TIA

msw
--
Martin Wheeler       -        StarTEXT - Glastonbury - BA6 9PH - England
[1] mwheeler@startext.co.uk                   http://www.startext.co.uk/

     - Share your knowledge. It's one way to achieve immortality. -