Re: Creating an initrd

on Wed, May 09, 2001 at 12:09:38AM -0600, Stefan Srdic (linuxbox@telusplanet.net) wrote:

> I though that its possible to use the ext2 filesystem to use with
> initrd?  Is there an advantage of using the minixfs filesystem over
> the ext2 filesytem in this application?

minixfs is reputed to have lower overhead, though I haven't reearched or
tested this myself.  I believe it has to do with root reserved and
superblocks.  You can build a few images at 1400 x 1024 bytes and format
them with minix, ext2fs, and msdos/vfat to see what the relative merits
are.   I've always formatted RAM and floppy w/ minixfs rather than ext2
when using a non-DOS filesystem.

Cheers.