Re: Help Please With HP Travan Scsi Tape Drive

Stephen Broadbridge wrote:

> Hi All
>
> I cannot get my HP Travan T4000S Scsi tape drive to work.  I have gathered all the information I can find about the problem into the rest of this email.  Am I missing something obvious?  Thanks in anticipation of any assistance given.
>
> This is what happens when I try to access my tape drive. I get the same sort of
> result when I try to access /dev/st0.
>   #  mt -f /dev/nst0 status
>   mt: /dev/nst0: Input/output error

I'd guess you really are having a hardware problem.  Check SCSI ID,
termination, etc.  It could even be that the drive is bad.

<RANT alt="Sorry, I know this is unhelpful">
I'm starting to have a low opinion of these Travan SCSI drives.  I have
one, an AIWA, in a server that occasionally makes me reboot (starts
getting above error) for no known reason, after fairly heavy-duty backup
use for several weeks or so; and one at home, a Seagate, that now
eventually write-fails on any tape I throw at it.

I have purchased one more of these at Ebay, and if I have problems with
it in the near future, I'll start using DAT for my backup needs, high
drive cost or no.
</RANT>