Re: xmms and audio cd playing

On Mon, May 07, 2001 at 03:20:16PM -0300, francisco m . neto wrote:
> 	Play directory should be able to do it. Be sure that you
> select the mount point of your cdrom drive.

More accurately, you need to select the directory specified in the
"Directory:" box in the CD audio plugin's configuration.  On a sane
system, this should probably be the same as the CDROM's mount point,
but it doesn't have to be.

> 	The main differente between audio cds and data cds is that
> data cds consist of 1's and 0's, and audio cds don't.
> 	In data cds each bit has two possible orientations: one of
> those is 1, and the other one is 0. Audio cds doesn't even have bits:
> they consist of a sequence of "bits" that have orientations that will
> reflect the laser this or that way, thus leading to the digitalized
> audio generation.

Now this is just plain wrong...  Data CDs and audio CDs are physically
identical - they both store data digitally, as a series of 1s and 0s.

A data CD will typically contain only a single track (I believe that
multisession CDs use multiple tracks, but I'm not positive) while an audio
CD generally has several tracks.  Some bands (and software companies)
have even released mixed-mode CDs which contain several tracks with data
on the first track and music on the others.

The track contents are where the real difference lies, though.  A data
track contains a file system, complete with directories, blocks, and
all the other trappings of any normal fs.  An audio track is just raw,
PCM-encoded audio data from start to finish, with some extra data
included at the end of each data block to allow for error detection
and correction.

If you want to look at it in HDD terms, think of each track as a partition
on your drive.  Data partitions are formatted with the iso9660 file
system.  Audio partitions are unformatted and have just had raw data
written to them - since they're not formatted, they obviously can't
be mounted, but a program with knowledge of how the data was written
(like a CD player) is still able to read it back.

--
That's not gibberish...  It's Linux. - Byers, The Lone Gunmen
Geek Code 3.1:  GCS d? s+: a- C++ UL++$ P++>+++ L+++>++++ E- W--(++) N+ o+