Help Please With HP Travan Scsi Tape Drive

Hi All

I cannot get my HP Travan T4000S Scsi tape drive to work.  I have gathered all the information I can find about the problem into the rest of this email.  Am I missing something obvious?  Thanks in anticipation of any assistance given.

Stephen

Here is the version information for my system.
$ uname -a
Linux Cemy1 2.2.17 #1 Sun Jun 25 09:24:41 EST 2000 i586 unknown

and for mt:-
$ mt -V
GNU mt version 2.4.2

This is what happens when I try to access my tape drive. I get the same sort of
result when I try to access /dev/st0.
  #  mt -f /dev/nst0 status
  mt: /dev/nst0: Input/output error

This is here for comparison with the above only.
  #  mt -f /dev/nst1 status
  mt: /dev/nst1: Device not configured

This is evidence of the st.o module on my machine.  The file is located at
/lib/modules/2.2.17/scsi
  # file st.o
  st.o: ELF 32-bit LSB relocatable, Intel 80386, version 1, not stripped

Here is a fragment of my /etc/modules file showing that st should load at boot time.
  # /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.
  #
  lines removed from here
  ne2k-pci
  st

Here are the two lines from /var/log/messages which suggest to me that the
tape drive has been detected:-
  May  3 15:12:56 cemy1 kernel: st: bufsize 32768, wrt 30720, max buffers 5, s/g segs 16.
  May  3 15:12:56 cemy1 kernel: Detected scsi tape st0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 6, lun 0

Here is the output from the command lsmod:-
  # lsmod | egrep st
  st                     24264   0

Here is information from /var/log/messages about the booting of my SCSI bus:-
  May  3 15:12:56 cemy1 kernel:   Vendor: HP        Model: T4000s            Rev: 1.06
  May  3 15:12:56 cemy1 kernel:   Type:   Sequential-Access                  ANSI SCSI revision: 02

Here is the information provided about scsi modules by modprobe
  # modprobe -c | grep scsi
  path[scsi]=/lib/modules/2.2.17/scsi
  path[scsi]=/lib/modules/2.2/scsi
  path[scsi]=/lib/modules/default/scsi