Re: xmms and audio cd playing

» Viktor Lakics said this and I say that:

> Under Debian, I cannot play Audio CDs with xmms. (dedicated CD
> players work!).

> Xmms has an audio CD plugin, which I enabled, set the cdrom pointing
> to the right dir, and now what? How can I tell xmms to play the
> audio CDs? Play file shows nothing, play directory ditto, play
> location seems doing nothing as well.

	Play directory should be able to do it. Be sure that you
select the mount point of your cdrom drive.

> Under Mandrake, I was even able to mount the audio cd (in the
> playlist it showed the sounds as track_n_.cda, theerfore I just
> played them as files (play directory or file).

	That's not a regular thing you should be able to do. Audio
CD's don't even have a filesystem!

> This lead to us to a more general question: what is the difference
> of audio an data cds? Even before I patched the kernel for supemount
> under Debian I could not mount audio CDs (got the message "wrong
> fstype, bad option blablalabla..), while data cds are mounted fine.

	The main differente between audio cds and data cds is that
data cds consist of 1's and 0's, and audio cds don't.
	In data cds each bit has two possible orientations: one of
those is 1, and the other one is 0. Audio cds doesn't even have bits:
they consist of a sequence of "bits" that have orientations that will
reflect the laser this or that way, thus leading to the digitalized
audio generation.

	Probably there's a lot of wrong concepts on this
"explanation", but I think it shows the basic idea.

--
[]'s,
		francisco m. neto

ICQ # 78493934