Re: [users] Re: getting procmail to pipe to a gzipped file

On Mon, May 07, 2001 at 11:30:59PM -0400, MaD dUCK wrote:
> also sprach mdevin@ozemail.com.au (on Tue, 08 May 2001 01:25:37PM +1000):
> > > Try "| gzip -c >> testing.gz".
> > That still seems to not work when I sent a mail with Subject: gzip
> > And I know the condition works since if I remove the gzip pipe and just
> > place a filename there then it does append to it OK.
>
> as i said, gzip outputs to stdin by default (like any good ol' unix
> proggy), so the -c flag is just not necessary. nevertheless, aside
> from the 'i' flag for the recipe, i would maybe write
>
> "| (gzip >> testing.gz)
> just to make sure that the >> is passed to the right shell instance.

I don't understand why not worky :-(

Here is what I have in .procmailrc now:
# testing of gzip pipe
:0 bw:
* ^Subject:.*gzip
| (gzip >> testing.gz)

And I just sent an email with:
Which ended up being left in my /var/spool/mail/$user because it didn't
match any of my .procmail rules :-(

However, if I replace the last line in the above .procmailrc recipe with:
testingbox
Then the message body ends up in ~/mail/testingbox as it should.

Why?????

Mark.