Re: getting procmail to pipe to a gzipped file

On Mon, May 07, 2001 at 10:20:51PM -0400, Rob Mahurin wrote:
> On Tue, May 08, 2001 at 11:37:19AM +1000, mdevin@ozemail.com.au wrote:
> > I thought I had this worked out, but it doesn't seem to work quite how
> > it should.  Bascially I want to have mail with a certain subject piped
> > into a .gz file in my ~/mail directory.
> >
> > Here is what I had in .procmailrc:
> [...]
> > # testing of gzip pipe
> > :0 bw:
> > * ^Subject:.*gzip
> > | gzip >>testing.gz
>
> 22:08 $ gzip --help 2>&1 | grep stdout
>  -c --stdout      write on standard output, keep original files unchanged
>
> Try "| gzip -c >> testing.gz".
That still seems to not work when I sent a mail with Subject: gzip
And I know the condition works since if I remove the gzip pipe and just
place a filename there then it does append to it OK.

> How will you read mail from the compressed box?
I was going to use zless.  That should work shouldn't it?

Regards.

Mark.