Re: athome funny business [was Slow Cable Modem Revisited]

On Sat, May 05, 2001 at 11:34:38AM -0700, Jaye Inabnit ke6sls wrote:

>     Hello,
>
> This topic is of interest here in Eureka California where PacBell has a
> strangle hold on broadish band. Cox cable is just about to start a beta test
> in the area post the upgrades they performed last year. I've learned that the
> server is of a proprietary class as opposed to the newer systems that are
> considered non-proprietary. The reason is that it was thousands of dollars
> cheaper then the newer systems. I am uncertain of what type of modem it is,
> but think it's based on motorola.
>
> I've wired the engineer in hopes that he'll let me beta test their system
> since I've pretty much given up hope for fairness from PacBell.
>
> So the question that comes to me, is what type of protocol is going to be
> used, and how hard will it be to tweak my stable box to use it. Should be
> interesting.

First, please respect my Mail-Followup-To: header; I read the list so
Cc:s are unwelcome.

I think you are confusing some issues.  Recent cable modems conform
to a standard known as DOCSIS.  The idea is that any manufacturers
DOCSIS modem can be used on a DOCSIS system.  @Home has gone almost
exclusively with Cisco uBRs for their head end equipment but uses 3Com,
Motorola, even Hitachi as customer premise equipment.  The Cisco head
end stuff is incredibly expensive.

The original idea of DOCSIS was that customers would be able to
purchase their own modems at the corner electronics store.  In many
markets the MSO continues to purchase the modems as they are able to
get volume discounts and are then dealing with a known product.

Several manufacturers rolled out cable modems before the DOCSIS
standard.  Motorola and LANCity (now Arris Interactive) are two that
I've seen.  I think what's happening in your area is that Cox is
trying to roll out Motorola's MCR product which is not DOCSIS
compliant.

What does this mean to an end user?  Not much, except you won't be
able to buy your modem.  Many MSOs won't let you anyway ... they want
you to rent.  The interface between the modem and your PC is still
Ethernet, the protocol is still IP.

HTH,

Micromuse Ltd.                 | than a perfect plan tomorrow.