Re: athome funny business [was Slow Cable Modem Revisited]

On Fri, May 04, 2001 at 09:04:57AM -0700, idalton@ferret.phonewave.net wrote:
> On Fri, May 04, 2001 at 11:21:12AM -0400, Jaldhar H. Vyas wrote:
> > Suddenly it occurred to me that the slowdown I'd started seeing with my
> > @home service began occurring right arounf the time I took my LinkSys
> > Etherlink II card (uses ne2k-pci driver) out and replaced it with a D-Link
> > DFE-530TX+ (uses rtl8139 driver.)  So I put it back in and lo and behold!
> > my connection is zipping along again.
> >
> > I still think @home are up to some funny business but for now I'm happy.
>
> Hehe. Speaking of funny business, I just had @home set up, and the cable
> installer never left me a modem manual, and 3com is <sarcasm>being their
> usually helpful self again</sarcasm> about offering content obscured in
> javascript.[0]
>
> So I emailed support to ask for a user manual. I'm sent back an
> 'individual' boilerplate response suggesting I power-cycle the modem and
> reboot my computer. Yeaaaah...

What exactly are you hoping to accomplish by acquiring a user manual
for your cable modem?

Cable modems are completely unlike DSL modems regarding "user-tunable"
bits.  For better or for worse, most of the cable modem's
functionality is meant to be controlled by the cable operator.

BTW, I don't believe @Home is forcing anyone to use a proxy (though
they like it if you do; it lowers their aggregate demand for external
bandwidth.)  IMO, most "funny business" with @Home is a result of
their rapid growth.  Besides, @Home has to depend on the local cable
operator to uphold quality considerations for the last mile.

Cheers,

Micromuse Ltd.                 | than a perfect plan tomorrow.